1. Tommy Eyre, keyboardist for the Greg Lake Band, played on which of the following albums: a. "With A Little Help
From My Friends," by Joe Cocker, b. "Baker Street," by Gerry Rafferty, c. "City To City," by Gerry Rafferty, d. All of
2. ELP preferred American audiences to English ones for this reason: a. An American audience would know when to
clap after a solo, b. The Americans would get up and dance during the performance, c. American groupies were
better-looking, d. None of the above
3. In the Spring of 1978, Keith explained that Carl had aspirations of: a. Studying the flamenco guitar style,
b. Directing movies, c. Becoming a singer, d. Playing piano
4. In the Howard Stern interview, Howard describes a partygoer who was hypnotized into thinking that Greg was:
a. Elderly and infirm, b. The President of the United States, c. Keith Emerson, d. An attractive woman
5. Greg compared organized religion with: a. Opium, b. Entertainment, c. Hypnotism, d. Insanity
6. ELP's first album was the hardest to complete because: a. Greg and Keith had not yet gelled as a songwriting
team, b. There was a lot of pressure from the studio to complete the record in a short time, c. The guys were partying
too much in their off-time, d. The press was constantly hanging around, waiting for the "Supergroup" to produce
7. The group had problems at the gigantic California Jam concert because: a. Humidity and dampness in the equipment,
b. Lack of communication with the audience being 300 yards away, c. The acoustics were really dead, d. All of the above
8. The guys explain the reasons behind lighter pieces like, "The Sheriff," and "Jeremy Bender" as being: a. Keith
runs out of ideas and freaks out, b. Keith gets all happy inside, c. For light comic relief after the more intense
pieces, d. All of the above
9. Keith tried which of the following conservative remedies before opting for nerve surgery on his right elbow: a.
Acupuncture, b. Hypnotism, c. Special exercises, d. Prayer
10. The band named their album "In The Hot Seat" because: a. Greg got the idea from a new SUV he bought with
seat-warmers, b. It reminded Keith of his motorcycle, c. Carl had to sit on a heating pad due to a muscle strain, d.
ELP was subject to constant criticism during its lifetime
BONUS QUESTION: In which interview did Greg give his concerns regarding his fans' reading meanings into his lyrics?
a. OGTW, 1973, b. Credo Religious Show, 1973, c. Radio One, 1981, c. Howard Stern Show, 1993
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: Oh dear, you need to really read our interviews. Don't worry - they're great and you'll love them!
4-6 Correct: You need to bone up not only on trivia, but reading comprehension.
7-9 Correct: Not bad - a little more work and you'll get an "A"
All 11 Correct: Fabulous! (You didn't cheat, did you??)
To take this quiz, you must be a member of Greg's Members Lounge, because you will want to read the
"Shows I Will Never Forget" section,
if you want to do the quiz "open book".
1. To get their career off with a bang, ELP used what at the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970? a. Fireworks,
b. Cannons, c. A dozen gongs, d. Exploding drums
2. King Crimson opened for the Rolling Stones at Hyde Park in London in 1969. What did Mick Jagger release into the
air? a. Balloons, b. Confetti, c. Doves, d. Butterflies
3. In Chicago, November of 1969, King Crimson lost all their equipment because of: a. arson, b. rioting, c. a flood,
d. a building collapse
4. ELP's concert at the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth, England in October of 1970 was important to Greg for what
reason? a. They debuted "Tarkus" there, b. Bournemouth is Greg's hometown, c. A Bournemouth music critic had panned them,
d. The Winter Gardens is England's equivalent of Carnegie Hall
5. In 1971, ELP did play at Carnegie Hall and what other famous New York venues? a. Fillmore West, b. Lincoln
Center, c. Fillmore East, d. Radio City Music Hall, e. Madison Square Garden
6. During the Mar Y Sol concert in Puerto Rico, what went on under the stage? a. A party, b. a drug bust, c. A sewer
line broke, d. Someone killed a rattlesnake
7. During a riot at a 1972 concert in Osaka, which band member got stranded onstage? a. Keith, b. Greg, c. Carl
8. At the Poconos Pop Festival, ELP found there was no food when they got to their hotel. What did their road
manager bring in for their dinner? a. Lobsters, b. Hot dogs, c. Canned spaghetti, d. Big Macs
9. California Jam is remembered by ELP fans for Keith's rotating piano and for what other band causing a to-do? a.
Three Dog Night, b. The Faces, c. Deep Purple, d. The Stones
10. At the time of California Jam, which of the following was NOT part of ELP's entourage? a. 21 roadies, b. 32
sound cabinets, c. 35 tons of equipment, d. a 4-channel quadraphonic sound system
5. c & e
10. a (25)
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: Oooh man, you'd better register and read up, because you need serious help.
4-6 Correct: Either your memory's been clouded by time and/or other things, or you're just guessing.
7-9 Correct: Not bad - did you read a trivia book or the "Shows I Will Never Forget" section?
All 10 Correct: Absolutely outstanding. Greg would be proud!
1. True or False: the Zemaitis "heart" guitar is featured as one of Greg's "Dream Guitars."
2. Who is the second of the "Featured (or Special) Guests?"
3. How many wallpapers are available for download?
4. There is a typo in one of the photo captions in the "ELP Years Part I" Photo Gallery. What is it?
5. Which of the writers of the "Guest Essays" is from Texas, USA?
6. How many different CD's are offered for purchase from the Gift Shop?
7. In one of the "Interviews," Greg mentions the first rock song he ever learned to play. Name the title and artist.
8. True or False: The Beatles' "White Album" is listed as one of the "10 Records That Changed My Life."
9. How many videos are available for viewing in the "Video Theater?"
10. On the "Message Boards," Greg's New Year's message includes a story about his best Christmas ever. What did he do
that Christmas that made it so special?
Bonus Question: Which items of Greg's are mentioned as being on display in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Double
bonus points if you can name which items of Keith Emerson's are there!
1. False - the replica from 2001 is featured along with the story of the demise of the original.
2. Robert Fripp
4. In the sixth row, fourth photo, the song title "C'ste La Vie" is misspelled.
5. Our own Lady of the Lake, Kate McClure
7. "Lucille" by Little Richard
8. False - "Strawberry Fields Forever" is listed.
10. He was instrumental in helping a homeless man find a permanent place to live.
Bonus: The "Lucky Man" guitar and the white stage outfit with the gold trim on the sleeves & lapels.
Keith Emerson's old beat-up Hammond is also on display along with two of the daggers he used to violate it with.
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: Get surfing!
4-6 Correct: Clear your browser's cache and try again.
7-9 Correct: Pretty good, although you're still not considered a "gl.com addict."
All 10 Correct: Smashing! Now go take Greg's Triva
Quiz and see how you do.
We Believe in Father Christmas, Dec. 12, 2002
1. Greg co-wrote "I Believe in Father Christmas" with: a. Bob Dylan, b. Gary Moore, c. Peter Sinfield
2. The song protests: a. organized religion, b. the commercialization of Christmas, c. shopping mall Santas
3. Greg and his co-writer believe that Christmas is for: a. compulsive shoppers, b. elves and faeries, c. children
4. The promotional video for this song was filmed in: a. Israel, b. Las Vegas, c. Mozambique
5. The sleeve design for the '45' vinyl single depicts: a. children playing in the snow, b. a choir singing carols,
c. Father Christmas handing a child a toy, d. none of the above
6. Who suggested incorporating Prokofiev's "Troika" into the arrangement? a. Keith Emerson, b. Leonard Bernstein,
c. Robert Fripp
7. "I Believe..." appears on what ELP album? a. Trilogy, b. Love Beach, c. Works Vol. 2
8. "I looked to the sky with __________" a. excited eyes, b. tears in my eyes, c. unrealistic expectations
9. "I Believe..." has been recorded by what world-famous vocal ensemble? a. The Osmond Family, b. The Swingle Singers,
c. The Vienna Boys Choir
10. Which lifestyle guru included "I Believe..." in a CD collection of best holiday songs? a. Chris Casson Madden,
b. Christopher Lowell, c. Martha Stewart
All 10 Correct: Excellent! You may place the star atop the tree.
"Cover Story," Nov. 17, 2002
Emerson, Lake and Palmer and ELPowell were as famous for their use of classical music as they were for their
original material. Match the song (1-10) with the composer (A-J) whose music was covered or adapted by ELP.
1. Canario.........................A. Prokofiev
2. Touch and Go....................B. Bach
3. I Believe in Father Christmas...C. Janacek
4. Rodeo...........................D. Henry VIII
5. The Only Way....................E. Mussorgsky
6. Knife Edge......................F. Ginastera
7. The Great Gates of Kiev.........G. Rodrigo
8. The Barbarian...................H. Copland
9. Nutrocker.......................I. Bartok
10. Toccata........................J. Tchaikovsky
Bonus questions: 1. The Prokofiev piece used is called "Troika". What does "troika" mean?
2. Whose wife called ELP's office and talked to Greg about her deceased husband's music being used without
3. Canario is often performed on what instrument?
4. Sometimes after ELP left the stage, a taped classical piece would be played as background music while the
audience left the venue. During the Works '77 tour, part of a composition called "The Birds" was used for this purpose.
Who was the composer?
1 - G
2 - D
3 - A
4 - H
5 - B
6 - C
7 - E
8 - I
9 - J
10 - F
Bonus questions: 1. sleighride
3. Spanish guitar
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: You should really broaden your musical horizons.
4-6 Correct: You haven't been listening to National Public Radio as often as you ought to.
7-9 Correct: That's pretty good! We're impressed by your musical diversity.
All 10 Correct: We have a winner! Now, where did I put that free ticket to the symphony...
Greg Lake/ELPalmer/ELPowell Quiz, by Mark L., Nov. 17, 2002
1. What is Greg's middle name?
2. On which track does Greg blow into the microphone, right at the start?
3. Which domestic pet is mentioned on King Crimson's "In The Court of the Crimson King" and "In The Wake of
4. What is the name of the "greaser" who poured a pint of Guinness over Benny's boots?
5. What was the make of Greg's 8 string bass guitar, used on the Works recordings and subsequent tour?
6. What is the only ELPalmer track to contain a deliberate cough?
7. Which 3 bands link John Wetton and Greg Lake?
8. Which ELP track mistakenly credits - "Emerson vocals?"
9. Which popular soft drink is mentioned on the Trilogy album?
10. Which ELP track contains the name of two rock bands and the title of a Van Halen track?
2. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Works Volume 1).
3. A Cat. "Cat's foot, iron claw..." - 21st Century Schizoid Man and the track Cat Food - In The Wake of Poseidon.
6. Better Days (Black Moon).
7. Uriah Heep, (Lee Kerslake and Ken Hensley played in The Gods with Greg), King Crimson and Asia.
8. Karn Evil 9 First Impression, Part One.
9. Coca-Cola (Living Sin).
10. Touch and Go (Emerson Lake and Powell):UFO, Status Quo, "Running With the Devil".
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: I know these are tough but you could have done better ;-)
4-6 Correct: Not bad...not bad, you might have a ghost of a chance.
7-9 Correct: You're good! Obscure trivia might be another career choice.
All 10 Correct: Dang...we are DULY impressed. Step up to the microphone for your award!
"Explore Our Site" Quiz, June 18, 2002
1. From the ELP Ads and Posters page: Give the day, date, time and place of ELP's debut performance.
2. From the King Crimson page: In the Pete Sinfield "Melody Maker" interview, how long did he say it took to write
the lyrics for "Brain Salad Surgery"?
3. From the All-Starr page: Our friend Tim's great pix were taken at what venue?
4. From the Early Days page: The Gods' slogan said, "Our only gimmick - ____ _____."
5. From the ELP in the 90's page: In the "Pen World" article, in talking about his songwriting method, Greg said
that he keeps a diary of ______ and _______.
6. From the Interview MP3s and Files page: In the article found in Drawer 25 of our File Cabinet, Keith described
ELP's music as "progressive rock with a lot of ______ _____ ______ ________."
7. From the Archives and Collections page: The tee shirt from Greg's 1981 solo band tour shown in Eileen's Treasure
Chest features what unique design?
8. From the Asia page: Greg performed briefly with Asia in what year?
9. From the Greg Lake Band page: In the Classic Rock Zoomclub review of Greg's first solo album, the reviewer
called it an overlooked ________.
10. From the Photo Gallery Home Page: What was Greg's fine for skinny-dipping in a Salt Lake City hotel pool?
1. Sunday August 23, 7:30 PM Guildhall Plymouth
2. A month
3. Horseshoe Casino, Biloxi, MS
4. Good music
5. Themes and titles
6. Regard for the past
7. A neon caricature of a guitar player from the cover of the "Greg Lake" album
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: Ouch...start surfing...the Sitemap would be a good start ;-)
4-6 Correct: Okay, you've looked around, but haven't stayed quite long enough.
7-9 Correct: You've been hanging with us awhile; we love it!
All 10 Correct: While all our visitors are special, you deserve a big hug for getting them all right.
"All-Starr Stuff," Apr. 15, 2002
During the summer of 2001, Greg toured with Ringo Starr's All-Starr band. Take the All-Starr challenge!
(Hint: some answers can be found on our All Starrs page)
1. Name two nationally-televised shows on which the All Starrs appeared.
2. According to the official tour schedule, the All Starrs played their first concert in what city?
3. True or false: Michael McDonald played keyboards with this tour.
4. Name the three songs on which Greg was featured.
5. The All Starr version of "In the Court of the Crimson King" featured a flute solo by which band
6. During the CNN gig, Greg paid tribute to Paul McCartney by using what?
7. Guitarist Roger Hodgson's former band was a) Badfinger b) Mott the Hoople c) Supertramp
8. How many states did the tour cover?
9. True or false: According to Greg, he was asked to participate in the All Starr tour by certified letter.
10. Greg said of Ringo, "I was in a successful Rock N Roll band. He was in a band that ____________________."
1. "Today" and "World Beat" on CNN
2. Rama, Ontario
3. False, Howard Jones
4. "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Karn Evil 9" and "Lucky Man"
5. Mark Rivera
6. A Hofner bass
9. False: See the Classic Rock interview link on our Interview page. Greg said, "I just got a call one day from Ringo asking me if I wanted to
go out on the tour. It was as simple as that. He was putting together this band and he heard of me in the context of doing this and he gave me a call.
I jumped at the chance."
10. Changed the world. (See the Classic Rock interview)
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: Nice try, but your Starr is not very bright.
4-6 Correct: With a little polishing, you could shine.
7-9 Correct: Not bad - we'd better get our sunglasses.
All 10 Correct: Brilliant! Simply brilliant!
"Whose Line Is It," (no, that's the TV show) Feb. 10, 2002
For this quiz, you'll need the lyrics to "Emerson Lake and Powell".
What follows these words? 1. "Taking flight"
2. "All systems go friend or foe"
3. "His talons shine like daggers"
4. "They murder with kisses"
5. "It should be easy now that we've talked it over"
6. "You stand in the shadows or..."
7. "And even in your darkest dreams"
8. "Make us strong know right from wrong"
9. "Don't ever underestimate the price of..."
(...And if you miss this one, sign up now for "Remedial Music Appreciation 101")
10. "It's been so long you're welcome back my friends"
1. Handle me with care I'm dynamite
2. It's all dependin' on the dice you throw
3. On the wings of revolution
4. And then wonder why
5. And God knows we have to try
6. Reach for the sky
7. Some things you can't foresee
8. And teach us what it's worth
9. Love you lend
10. To the show that never ends
How many did you know?
0-3 Correct: You've never listened to Emerson, Lake & Powell; it's obvious.
4-6 Correct: You listened, but you really weren't paying attention.
7-9 Correct: Pretty good, but the Ladies require that you listen again.
All 10 Correct: You were listening (and paying attention)!
"Connections," Jan. 2, 2002
1. The King's Singers sang on Greg's single "I Believe in Father Christmas." Greg produced the King's Singers'
recording of what Beatles song?
2. The arranger on the above song was also the conductor of the ELP orchestra in 1977. Who is he?
3. Greg has recently performed with which former Beatle?
4. Greg said in a recent interview that in his early bands, he had some success covering other bands' hits, but
when he added these songs to the line-up, the audience response was much better.
5. Toto guitarist/session man Steve Lukather has said that hearing the Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There" was what
inspired him to play the guitar. What is Lukather's connection with Greg?
6. Greg and John Wetton a) both play bass; b) both write songs; c) both played with King Crimson; d) both sing; e)
both played with Asia; f) all of the above.
7. Greg has co-written songs with all but one of the following: a) Bob Dylan; b) Geoff Downes c) Justin Hayward; d)
8. What does Greg have in common with these fellow musicians? Levon Helm, John Entwhistle, Todd Rundgren and
9. What does Greg have in common with Uriah Heep's Ken Hensley and Lee Kerslake?
10. In 1969, Greg (with ELP), along with fellow musicians Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix and Jefferson Airplane
performed at what historic music festival?